Currently, there is a high level of fragmentation in the virtual training solutions dedicated to healthcare. There are many proprietary cloud-based simulators and hardware that are provided by competing vendors like Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) device manufacturers and XR medical training providers. As a result, there is a lack of high quality, learningly designed, and personalised training simulations for healthcare education that can also easily incorporate latest industry-specific changes.
The VRCare project responds to this need by co-creating and providing tailor-made, personalised Beyond-State-Of-The-Art XR training solutions and certifications for healthcare professionals and students, delivered via its open VRCare platform. The VRCare targets to improve the overall healthcare performance, tackle the increasing shortage of trained Healthcare professionals (HCP) and make a positive impact on patients’ lives by reducing the number of mistakes professionals make.
The project develops the AI-driven, integrated VRCare training and certification platform with open APIs and later opens the platform with reference architectures and marketplace for 3rd parties. The platform comprises software developer tools (SDT) and frameworks, the web application, and XR application. The VRCare project employs a user-centered approach to delve into the real training needs of the healthcare professionals and employs immersive eye-resolution simulations.
VRCare will provide Beyond-State-Of-The-Art innovations in three areas:
1) We implement an Artificial Intelligence (AI) driven training and certification platform and marketplace to list, distribute, and manage XR training solutions that interoperate easily with different hardware and ensure security, privacy and ethics
2) We develop components and offering for the platform:
• multiple co-created and validated virtual training simulations
• digital twins of patients, physical medical devices and environments that require extensive training, e.g. of artificial respiratory devices
• a customized hand tracking and gesture analysis solution for interaction in medical training in VR and XR
• natural language processing (NLP) algorithms, capable of understanding healthcare specific topics and different European languages during simulation training
• personalized adaptive learning enabling the trainee to consolidate her/his knowledge and correct her/his weaknesses
• an automated certification framework by creating and validating a scoring system, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders
3) We create an AI model and develop data-driven learning models for healthcare education by taking advantage of the datasets gathered during simulation training
The VRCare project creates 13 XR simulations with one common digital twin for clinical, homecare and education Proof of Concepts in the national demonstrators in Finland, Sweden, Belgium and Spain. The VRCare project further integrates these into one common Proof of Concept with impact assessments. The consortium targets to fulfil relevant European Medical Device Directives and to certify the platform with CE marking including GDPR compliance.
The consortium and its partner network cover the full value chain to build the platform, high-quality simulations, and integrated training solutions to customers in healthcare, education and technology domains. The trainings and certifications address primarily the 6,4M healthcare professionals and 0,6M students in Europe.