Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is an RTO (Research and Technology Organisation) active in the fields of materials, environment, and IT. It was created in January 2015 from the mutual desire of the public research centres Gabriel Lippmann and Henri Tudor, both key players in research and innovation in Luxembourg, to join forces and to focus their efforts on targeted research topics with the aim to facilitate companies’ access to public research and to enhance the international visibility of the Luxembourg research and so to so a fresh momentum to the research potential in the country.
LIST’s mission is to contribute to the development of Luxembourg economy and society by conducting interdisciplinary impact-driven research in targeted research areas.
LIST is working across the entire innovation chain:
- Fundamental and applied scientific research, knowledge and competences development,
- Experimental development, incubation and transfer of new technologies, competences, products, and services,
- Scientific policy support to the Luxembourg government, businesses and society in general,
- Doctoral and post-doctoral training, in partnership with universities.
LIST is formed by three departments:
- The “Environmental Research & Innovation” (ERIN) department develops strategies, technologies and tools to better monitor, assess, use and safeguard natural and renewable resources. Its research topics are water security and safety, plants for biomass, biopolymers and bioenergy, life cycle sustainability and risk assessment, and e-Science for environmental and biological applications.
- The “IT for Innovative Services” (ITIS) department develops innovative IT services within an open innovation process integrating all stakeholders concerned. Its research focuses on “big data” operational issues for decision-making, use of information systems in measuring and controlling the quality of services, and tools for innovation processes in IT services.
- The “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department focuses its activities on advanced materials and nanotechnologies.
LIST in figures
- A budget of approximately EUR 64 million*
- Contract research: EUR 10.5 million*
- Competitive research: EUR 14.5 million*
- 630 employees, 3/4 of whom are researchers
- About 70 PhD students
- Nearly forty different nationalities represented
- 350 scientific publications referenced
- A portfolio of 50 patent families
- 300 research projects, 30% of which are conducted within European programmes
* 2015 Objectives of the Performance Contract signed with the Luxembourg State for 2015-2017
For more information, visit the website: www.list.lu
- Research Institute