ITEA Roadmap for Software-Intensive Systems and Services
Released in February 2009, the ITEA Roadmap 3 is an open and structured vision of future uses of ICT and of ICT-based services, and thus a tool for anticipating technology changes in software-related businesses. It demonstrates the potential of ITEA 2 to contribute significantly to European industrial competitiveness and societal well-being over the coming years.
The document explains the general evolutions in Software-intensive Systems and Services, and identifies major roadblocks. As such, it serves as a tool to position R&D and innovation projects, and to create innovation partnerships.
Roadmap 3 can be read as an announcement that future ITEA 2 projects will:
- Pave the way towards 'societal computing' by addressing key societal issues such as health, energy, transportation, knowledge and education;
- Respond to the foreseeable end of Moore's Law, by addressing the challenge of 'massive scalability';
- Support the European industry to provide the market with end-to-end solutions including both products and services;
- Contribute ICT-based innovations to the competitiveness of European jobs and businesses; and
- Address the need for greater sustainability and efficient use of scarce resources such as energy and water.
The document is structured along five application domains and five technology categories. Key application and services domains are: Me, Group and Society, to underline the importance of the key societal challenges. Transversal are the application domains of Infrastructures and Basic Services, and Services, Systems and Software Creation. Each domain description includes various scenarios with short-, medium-, and long-term visions and required technologies.
The five technology categories are structured into Content and Knowledge, Network and Computing, Interaction, Engineering, and Technologies of the future. For each technology category, a number of short-, medium-, and long-term challenges are elaborated.
Executive summary (PDF version)
The Roadmap 3 Executive summary can be downloaded free of charge.
Electronical version (PDF)
As we are interested in the readers of our Roadmap, we kindly request you to log in to your MyITEA account*. After logging in you will be able to download the document (in PDF).
To login and download the electronic version, click here.
*All information will be treated as confidential. It will be used solely for evaluation purposes, and to record your interest in ITEA.